Free Official Ubuntu Books for Local Teams
Prentice Hall has just released the 8th Ed. of “The Official Ubuntu Book”, authored by Matthew Helmke and Elizabeth K. Joseph with José Antonio Rey, Philip Ballew and Benjamin Mako Hill.
This is the book’s first update in 2 years and as the authors state in their Preface, “…a large part of this book has been rewritten—not because the earlier editions were bad, but because so much has happened since the previous edition was published. This book chronicles the major changes that affect typical users and will help anyone learn the foundations, the history, and how to harness the potential of the free software in Ubuntu.”
As with prior editions, publisher Prentice Hall has kindly offered to ship approved LoCo teams each (1) free copy of this new edition. To keep this as simple as possible, you can request your book by following these steps. The team contact shown on our LoCo Team List (and only the team contact) should send an email to Heather Fox at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following details:
- Your full name
- Which team you are from
- If your team resides within North America, please provide: Your complete street address (the book will ship by UPS)
- If your team resides outside North America, you will first be emailed a voucher code to download the complete eBook bundle from the publisher site, InformIT, which includes the ePub/mobi/pdf files.
If your team does reside outside North America and you wish to be considered for a print copy, please provide:
Your complete street address, region, country AND IMPORTANT: Your phone number, including country and area code. (Pearson will make its best effort to arrange shipment through its nearest corporate office.)
A few notes:
- Only approved teams are eligible for a free copy of the book.
- Only the team contact for each team can make the request for the book.
- There is a limit of (1) copy of each book per approved team.
- Prentice Hall will cover postage, but not any import tax or other shipping fees.
- When you have the books, it is up to you what you do with them. We recommend you share them between members of the team. LoCo Leaders: please don’t hog them for yourselves!
If you have any questions or concerns, please directly contact Pearson/Prentice Hall’s Heather Fox at email@example.com Also, for those teams who are not approved or yet to be approved, you can still score a rather nice 35% discount on the books by registering your LoCo with the Pearson User Group Program.